Tuesday, September 30, 2008

WARNING!!! Beware of Dodgey Video’s On the Net

I was searching the net for some “how to” video’s for some website creation stuff I need for my Blackouthouse.com site when I got a page showing what looked to be a video wanting to load. But the screen froze and showed a message stating that a missing video codec file was needed to continue. So I figured if I need it then I need it. Turns out that the message (much like the site) was bogus and that the file it installed was in fact some "malware” software that claims to be an anti-virus program with loads of spelling errors. As you can see from the screen shot below it looks legit and even copies the look of Microsoft’s very own Security Centre for XP! Now I got to get rid of it. It now sends me to their site all the time and basically now shits me off!

MS AV Screen

So if you get a message page stating a needed Codec is to be installed… maybe it’s just not worth the risk unless you “trust the site”.

No comments: