Friday, February 06, 2009

Today I Went Nolstaga GAGA


I have been getting so hooked up with NHL 09 lately that I almost neglected all my other games in my collection. All I have been focusing on is #74 and his NHL career! But an announcement got my attention recently that stopped all that in its tracks... almost. Sega's new trip down memory lane with the SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection being released on dual platforms (PS3 & 360). Going down the list made me go a bit teary eyed. It reads like this:

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Comix Zone
Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head
Dr. Robotnik's MBM
Dynamite Headdy
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco II: The Tides of Time
E-SWAT
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe I
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Kid Chameleon
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Ristar
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 3
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Thunder Blade
Vectorman
Vectorman 2

Now I know they can't all be gold. I cringe at the thought of playing one or two of these games ever again (WISE FRUM YOR GWWAVE!!!!) especially in hi-def. But I can't help but feel excited at the chance of having another crack at some of those RPG's! Plus having Vectorman (both of 'em no doubt) and also all the interviews, insights plus secret unlock-able games. Already Shinobi (ARCADE), Altered Beast (ARCADE), Congo Bongo (ARCADE) (it's an ancient title that I use to play on Sega's first computer/ console) and Fantasy Zone to name but a few. This is Sega's chance to really fly it's flag at today's iGen kids and show what made them big... and bust.

A couple of things come to mind with this compilation. Firstly... the omission of some titles. Revenge of Shinobi for starters. Man that game rocked with music that simply caned your butt whilst playing it thanks to the kicking bass thrown in. Herzog Zwei is another title that needed to be there. It was arguably the first console real time strategy game... but more importantly it rocked. I use to play this against my brother and we'd just like the fact it was all in real time, split screen and unforgiving. Building a mass army of boats to go bomb your opponents base in one big rush was awesome fun! Gunstar Heroes is another. Yes I know it's by Treasure and not Sega but surely... why split hairs? It had amazing visuals that were suppose to be not capable on the Sega console. It must have made some hardened Nintendo fanboys take note at the time.

Seeing this list has made me drag out my Gameboy Advance Micro and hit Phantasy Star again. That retro feeling is back and I'm enjoying it. Sometimes the newer titles, with all their realism and intricate plots... just don't get it. Gaming is meant to be fun. We don't want to know why we are suppose to plow through a platoon of soldiers and blow up their base... point is it'll be fun just doing it. I love new 7th generation console games and marvel at the technical accomplishments they set out to achieve and nail. But sometimes just watching your character's abilities raise and gaining a new, more powerful weapon or armour is more fun!

No comments: