Saturday, July 14, 2007

Shiney & New – PC Not Maddona


After three years running my Dell Dimension 2400 without a reformat the time had finally taken it's toll. Installing, removing, re-booting (sometimes without shutting down) and other register killing activities had slowed the PC down to a crawl. So what inspired me to take the plunge into my first re-format? Buying Norton 360. I know alot of folks see Norton branded items and cringe. But it's easy. Just add water style software that I've come to appreciate from the bigger software houses. Basically I could get to study into how to clean my registry manually. How to maintain the PC and keep it running smooth. But quite simply I can't be arsed! I free up more time by buying these style of programs to do it all for me.

 

Just like my car. I could change the oil myself. I could even change the brakes myself. But I'd rather just give the keys over to someone who does it for a living and free up time for other tasks. Such as gathering up achievement points in 360 games!

 

So how did the reformat go? Sweet! I've backed up all my docs to a portable hard drive. It's only a 40G drive but partitioned into 2 x 20G drives so room was somewhat limited. However I was able to send the photo's to DVD (2 DVD's in fact) and after some stumbling I managed to figure out how to re-install XP. First major challenge was how to re-install the drivers for the video, sound and other primary functions. So I installed the wireless adapter (D-link DWL-6510) driver. The great thing about having a wireless router (D-Link DSL-G604T) is that all the internet ISP settings are saved in the router/ modem itself so no need to dig it all up and enter it all in. Once I got past this hurdle it was just a matter of digging in and installing away. XP SP2 was the first big installation. That took some time to download as I couldn't find the discs I have for that. Then there was Internet Explorer 7 to deal with. Only hassle there was that Norton 360 failed to re-install my Favourites. Damn. All my cool sites gone. I do have the fav's saved via Google Bar but that is such a pain to use I don't bother relying on it.

 

After installing Google Desktop, MS Office 2007 and some other minor stuff it was all a matter of housekeeping the PC. I still have to install a fair bit of software but the main thing that where I once only had 10G left in the tank I now have 50G. Soon I'll add a 2nd hard drive to the equation to back up files (320G should do the trick!) and I'll be hunky dory! Heck… I may even install MAME again!

No comments: