Saturday, August 27, 2005

Missing The "Sega Years"

Every now and then I get all teary eyed and sentimental about having worked in a games company back in the one time in history things were getting interesting. Now that Sega are not producing consoles any more (maybe again one day) and that Sonic is just a memory it scares me to think that all that Mega Drive era is but a memory. I don't want anyone to not know about how excited I use to get buying a copy of Mean Machines or C+VG and drooling over the next lot of console releases. Things like Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2 and not to mention all the Electronic Art titles that never ceased to amaze us console junkies.


 


I keep getting tempted to create a site that documents and records a page to each game ever released. I know that it would be a tough task to undertake. But so far there is no site that covers these old (and even current) games and I found myself frustrated as I tried to catalogue some of the older (and dodgier) Japanese Mega Drive releases. I am looking at jacking the Mega Drive up to my PC and creating screen shots for the countless titles that have no online record to speak of. I do have close to 500 titles all catalogued so far. Screenshots and covers listed for most of them too. So maybe I may set loose onto the net with a site of my own. Weirder things have happened eh?


 


If there was a site set up that tracked EVERY game it could possibly do and was seen as being reliable, would you bookmark it? Let me know. Also... is there other video game collectors out there like me who scrounge eBay and 2nd hand shops like I do for old golden nuggets?

1 comment:

Mister Mannequin. said...

uh.... Sonic isn\'t just a memory. Well, maybe the decent games were, but they have the newer crap coming out all the time. There\'s even a new Sonic scheduled for the Xbox360. But yeah, I prefer the older, better 2D side-scrollers to 3D stuff anyday.