Friday, February 27, 2009

Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection - My Vinyl Has Arrived!


Today I recieved the first mail order game I have bought in ages. Well... it takes ages to be this good. To be this good takes Sega. Or at least it use to. But here is a game featuring a whole swag of titles that do rock. Personally I am here for the juicy RPG's that I know so many of you will just skip or play for the achievements. But I am even interested in Fatal Labyrinth. Warning... you can die from over eating in that game! LOL

As for the collection. Well in my previous entry I laboured to list them all but seeing them in a list and actually sitting down to play through them is entirely different. I must first say that I am really chuffed to see ALL the Phantasy Stars sitting there in that list and the Shining series didn't go un-noticed. But, I am a little sad to see Wonderboy V, Afterburner, Outrun, Toejam and Earl, Crackdown, Wrestleball and a few others didn't get a showing. Can I smell a sequel coming soon? While we are at it... where the heck is Sonic CD? That game didn't reach the audience that it deserved to.

Games in the list that may annoy some but I found fun were Flicky (I actually had the old old old SC-3000 Sega computer version) and Congo Bongo (known as Tip Top here for some odd reason and yes... another SC-3000 classic). Also Gain Ground was a favourite in my household with it's cool music and simply yet addictive nature.

Overall the game is well presented with a virtual Mega Drive type main screen, some quirky old school gaming generic music and tons of hidden extras to keep you plowing even through the less desirable titles (wise frum yor gwave!). The interviews will put you to sleep but seeing the creators of Sonic, Phantasy Star and all the old school Japanese classics give their (much glossed over) views on the past is interesting. Watch the one featuring the creator of Phantasy Star III and I challenge you not to throw something at the screen!

I am so loving this title and especially the vinyl album that came with my limited edition version. Now... where can I find a turn table to play it? LOL

Mega Drive Ultimate Collection Vinyl

No comments: