Sunday, May 14, 2006

RIP Snoopy - 1991(?) to 2006


Today just before heading off to work I learnt of some news that I knew would come some day soon. Our family dog, Snoopy, has passed away. This old boy lived two lives. One as a family dog in Menai with us as Wayne and I were finishing up high school. The other as a guard dog with the parents as he headed up with them to Wellington. He managed to even have a litter with Patch which is where my old dog, Kimba, came from. When he first entered our lives I was just starting off work in Sega, no internet was mentioned in public and mobile phones were those ridiculous things you saw on Miami Vice. He survived freezing nights and boiling hot days at Wellington and was as active as a pup almost to the end.


 


The last time I saw the old boy was Christmas last year but I kinda felt that it was to be the last time. I did hope to catch up with the dog in a few weeks time to see him off but not to be. I remember teaching him how to look for the tennis ball, catch a footy in the backyard and chase off rogue dogs out of the street! He impressed Mamiko and Megumi (my Japanese pen pals) with his athletic abilities as he somersaulted his way to catching balls and he was a permanent figure in the back yard. It’ll be hard to think of the back yard without him.

No comments: